Diabetes Management: Tips for Lowering Blood Sugar
Dr. Shima Hadidchi MD helps with diabetes management by providing the education and resources needed to achieve a healthier, symptom-free lifestyle. Call us today or schedule an appointment online. We are conveniently located at 12740 Hesperia Rd. Victorville, CA 92395.
Table of Contents:
How can I manage my diabetes?
How do you lower a diabetic’s blood sugar?
What are diabetes ABCs and how should they be managed?
What are the recommended targets for blood glucose levels?
How does our doctor help with diabetes management?
Diabetes is a complex chronic condition that requires close monitoring in order to ensure a good quality of life for people living with the disease. Diabetes management is the process by which a person living with diabetes keeps their blood glucose levels in a normal range. This involves balancing diet, exercise, and the use of diabetes medications to achieve and maintain good blood glucose control. Insulin is only one part of diabetes management; a person living with diabetes also needs to consider their diet and the amount of exercise they get. The goal of diabetes management is to achieve and maintain good blood glucose control, which helps prevent the long-term complications of diabetes such as heart disease and stroke.
The most effective diabetes management plans include a combination of many different therapies; there are seven key behaviors that lead to optimum diabetes self-management and health, which include:
• Healthy Coping — An important part of diabetes management is recognizing negative emotions and taking steps to reduce the detrimental impact they can have on self-care.
• Healthy Eating — Being mindful of one’s diet is incredibly important, especially for those living with diabetes. It is vital to understand how different foods affect blood sugar levels, which involves preparing and eating a healthy diet, understanding and reading food labels, and portion control.
• Being Active — In order to effectively manage diabetes, it is imperative to engage in appropriate physical activity and exercise while following necessary precautions. Being active provides a myriad of benefits, including: helps lower blood sugar levels and cholesterol levels; improves blood pressure; lowers stress and anxiety; and improves mood and cognitive function.
• Monitoring — Tracking blood sugar levels is necessary in order to make food and activity adjustments that help ensure that diabetes is being properly managed. To help stay on the path of good health, it is also important to monitor blood pressure, weight, and activity, foot health, steps walked, sleep, and achievement of goals.
• Taking Medication — Another important part of controlling blood sugar levels is taking medications in pills, injectable, liquid, and other forms as directed by a physician.
• Problem Solving — Diabetes management problems like hypoglycemia and hyperglycemia are very common, so it is important to utilize problem-solving skills to help prepare for when these unexpected problems occur.
• Reducing Risks — When diabetes is not properly managed, other health complications occur, from eye problems to foot health concerns. It is important to reduce the risk of complications by quitting smoking, monitoring blood pressure, performing foot checks, getting regular eye, foot and dental examinations, and self-monitoring of blood glucose levels.
There are several ways that a diabetic can lower their blood sugar levels, including:
• Take Insulin — Taking insulin is the quickest way to lower blood sugar levels and is the preferred method for treating hyperglycemia and its acute symptoms.
• Exercise — In both the short and long term, physical activity can help lower blood sugar levels. While exercising, the body is better able to utilize insulin to process glucose and use it for energy. During muscle contractions, cells take up glucose for energy and use it whether insulin is available or not; this results in a lower level of blood sugar.
• Drink Water — Because it helps the body excrete glucose, water is a critical component of diabetes management. Therefore, staying sufficiently hydrated is key to maintaining normal blood sugar levels, and this importance cannot be overstated.
The ABCs of diabetes include:
• A: A1C — A1C is a blood test that shows the average blood sugar levels over the span of several months.
• B: Blood Pressure — For people with diabetes, controlling blood pressure is just as important as controlling blood sugar. High blood pressure increases the risk for heart attack, stroke, and kidney disease, among other serious conditions.
• C: Cholesterol — A waxy substance found in the blood, cholesterol plays many important roles in health. However, when in excess quantities, high levels of cholesterol can contribute to an increased risk of heart attacks, strokes, and other serious problems.
Lifestyle changes can help to manage the ABCs of diabetes, including:
• Make healthy food choices
• Be active
• Stop smoking
• Lose weight
• Avoid alcohol
The recommended targets for blood glucose levels are different depending on when a person eats, including:
• Before a meal: 80-130 mg/dL
• Two hours after a meal: Less than 180 mg/dL
Our doctor helps with diabetes management by providing the education and resources needed to achieve a healthier, symptom-free lifestyle. This includes medication management, dietary changes and monitoring, regular exercise, blood pressure monitoring, and blood glucose monitoring.
If you need help managing your diabetes, come to Dr. Shima Hadidchi, MD! Call us today to book an appointment with our diabetes management specialist, or visit our clinic conveniently located at 12740 Hesperia Road, Victorville, CA 92395. We look forward to serving you! We serve patients from Victorville CA, Apple Valley CA, Adelanto CA, Hesperia CA, Crestline CA, Highland CA, and Barstow CA.
Additional Services You May Need
▸ Family Practice And Primary Care
▸ Weight Loss Management
▸ Women’s Health
▸ Vaccinations & Immunizations
▸ Diabetes Management
▸ Internal Medicine
▸ Acne Treatment
▸ Cryotherapy Treatment
▸ Skin Lesion Removal
▸ Dementia Treatment